In Bakerville, the intersection with the stoplight, where Cedar, Cotton Hill, and Maple Hollow all come together with Route 202, there used to be a school (along with the Tannery, Blacksmith Shop, Post Office, and General Store). The school was in the narrow triangle formed between Maple Hollow and Route 202 (then the Litchfield Turnpike). Today, this is an overgrown area, but the foundation was located as late as the 1990’s.
The Bakerville school, also known as the Brick Schoolhouse, was first known as the Watson district schoolhouse. The building’s architectural style suggests that it was erected sometime around or after 1810, as it was a brick Greek Revival building. In 1837, the district was reformed as the Baker district; the building was old enough that repairs were also done to its windows at this time. The school district, and the building, continued in this use until 1870 when the building was sold to Franklin Watson. The district also ceased at this time, being reformed as the Bakersville district. The brick building was used as a house until the 1920’s. When the Litchfield Turnpike was paved, the house’s well was fouled. It was abandoned and razed shortly afterwards.
(information from ‘Where Walk the Souls of Heroes’ by Neal E. Yates.)