The mail-order catalogue, the big-box store, and, par excellence, the internet dominate much of today’s shopping. In 1852 shopping tended to be quite local; however, a town such as New Hartford, with a growing industrial sector, a solid farming population, and not too far from the established trade routes could have a remarkably wide array of goods for sale.
In 1852 there were general stores in Bakerville, Maple Hollow, Nepaug, Pine Meadow, the North Village and the Satan’s Kingdom crossing. Additionally, there was a tin store, two lumberyards, a cabinet maker, a carriage shop, a harness maker, and a smith in the North Village. Elsewhere in town was a melodeon maker, another blacksmith, two more wagon shops, a cooper, a brickyard, a tannery, a grist mill, a shingle mill, and a distillery.
There were also the twelve factories, ranging from a small locksmith to the big textile and tool makers. Finally, two liveries and four taverns rounded out the commercial picture.
Essentially, everything that was needed could be purchased or made in town, from musical instruments (the melodeon shop) to iron nails and wooden shingles.
*Information from: ‘The Town of New Hartford, Litchfield Co. Conn’ Eileen Creevey Hall. New Hartford Historical Society.